Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Skiing is fun!

I first skied when I was maybe 5 years old. It has always been one of my favorite things.

I'm on a vacation up here in Whistler, BC. Whistler is my single favorite ski area in the whole world; it really is a remarkable place, in many ways. The mountains are challenging; the vistas are remarkable; the ambiance is dreamy; and the food is superb. I've been fortunate to be able to spend a lot of time up here and know the place well.

The skiing conditions Monday and Tuesday featured fantastic snow but tough weather. I mean really tough: cold, snowing, foggy, and windy. I remember when I was younger that weather didn't really faze me, and if the snow was good, I still had a blast no matter what mother nature was doing. But Monday and Tuesday, I wasn't having a blast on the slopes. Skiing wasn't orgasmic for me like it used to be. I wondered if perhaps I was just "moving on to a new stage in my life".

Today (Wednesday) dawned brilliantly clear. Sadly I had an investor call at 10am, but it was brief and I was on the slopes by 10:30.

To make a long story short, the previous days' inclement weather had kept much of the good terrain closed, so today there was blue sky and 2 feet of untouched freshie all over the place. So, to use the local jargon, today I schrelped. I haven't had this much fun skiing in probably 5 or 6 years. I mean it was epic good, an undeniable 10 out of 10! And, skiing is once again a contender for the love of my life!

Hiking up Spanky's















Looking down Diamond Bowl - 2000 vertical feet of 45 degree yumminess!















For the record, here is a chronological list of my schrelpings:
- Spanky's (Ruby Bowl)
- Spanky's (Diamond Bowl) (with new X-Files actor friend Robert)
- Spanky's (Diamond Bowl) (with Robert)
- Spanky's (Diamond Bowl) (with Robert)
- Spanky's (Diamond Bowl)
- Pakalolo (worst run of the day - it was crusty and windblown)
- Couloir Extreme (surprisingly great snow)
- Pasta with Marinara - rushed! - no time to lose!
- Cougar Chutes (with friends from Calgary)
- Spanky's (Diamond Bowl) (with friends from Calgary)
- Spanky's (Ruby Bowl)
Wow, what fun!

There's a cool map of one of my favorite playgrounds here.

No comments: